How much is water delivery?
Find out the average cost of water delivery in New Zealand and tips on how to get the best out of your bulk water delivery purchase.
Water delivery prices vary based on a number of factors such as:
- The location of your delivery address
- The amount of water delivered e.g. 6,000, 10,000 or 20,000 litres
- And sometimes, the size of the truck can be a factor i.e. a larger truck is more expensive to run
Most water delivery services need to factor in the milage/gas and the travel time to the cost of water delivery service. This means a cheap water delivery would be the delivery address is probably closer to the resource they use to fill (fill station or own bore) and a truck with a smaller tank capacity e.g. 6,000 litres.
Water tank refill cost
Most common refill amounts are:
- 6,000 litres (Around 1/4 of an average NZ water tank)
- 10,000 - 11,000 litres (almost 1/2 of an average NZ water tank)
- 22,000 - 30,000 for a tanker & trailer
Water truck delivery prices around New Zealand (as at August 2018)
- The cheapest advertised rate we could find is $140 for 12,500 litres
- The most common advertised rate we found is $180 for 6,000 to 10,000 litres
- The most expensive rates are on Waiheke Island, where water supply isn’t as readily available and demand is higher. Advertised rates started at $170 for 6 000 litres and went up to $300 for under 10,000 litres.
- Additional costs are based on distance from the carriers location or fill station. You could be facing an additional $200 for 50kms for instance.
Given bulk water delivery pricing is often based on the distance the truck will need to travel from their water source, your cheapest water supplier is most probably your closest. Click here to see a map of registered water carriers in NZ.
When larger or regular amounts are required, often carriers will be open to negotiate rates.
When price isn’t always the deciding factor: Not all tankers can get to all tanks
Some water tanks can be up long narrow driveways which can prohibit access for wider tankers. If your water tank is not easily accessibly, the cheapest water supplier may not be able the one that can help you - ring your supplier first and have a chat about access and they are usually happy to discuss options.
The fine print
The opinions provided in the article have been provided in good faith and on the basis that every endeavour has been made to be accurate and not misleading and to exercise reasonable care, skill and judgement in providing such opinions. Neither Tankful nor any of its employees, subcontractors, agents or other persons acting on its behalf or under its control accept any responsibility or liability in respect of any opinion provided in this article.
Article fine print
This is an independent article which means no manufacturer has paid to be featured or has influenced us writing about them in any way. Yay!